Tuesday, August 10, 2010

oh Boy!

I figured since I was writing about my residents I would have to write about Anita. I first met Anita in March of 2008. She is a tiny new yoker. She has a very pessimistic view of life, and yet a great sense of humor. As she would walk down the halls of our facility she would ask everyone how they were….a typical scene would go like so….shuffle shuffle “how are you?” fine how are you Anita? Then she would respond with one of five answers 1. Fine. 2. Fair. 3. Awful. 4. Miserable or 5. My back is killing me. Every time without fail. She loves to point out the obvious, often. Every time I would walk by she would say “boy that thing is huge” “she’s got a huge rump” “she’s so fat...on the bottom” “wow that’s huge”. Some days I would walk past her just to hear her say one of those.




She was very demanding as well. Every morning without fail at about 530 she would call us in to help her get dressed. As you would walk into her room she would simply say “buckle my bra.” Nothing more. Then after helping her she would say “coffee.” Or “orange juice.”

One of my favorite moments was about a year ago. She was sitting our on the couch slouching really badly, she honestly looked like she was going to fall off the seat. She was yelling help over and over. I was down the hall and all I could hear was “ HELP!! HELLO! HELP. OH MY GAWD.” So I ran down to see what was happening. As I turn the corner she says to me “I can’t find my keys.” So I ask if they are on her walker, or in her purse or on her wrist. She tells me “no I’ve looked everywhere, i can’t find them anywhere.” So I open her door and we search her apartment, even though I knew that they were on her wrist, I could hear them. So after a few minutes of “searching” finally she goes “oh my gawd I found them, they were on my wrist. You’re a doll.”



She honestly cracked me up. She would tell me how she kicked her husband out for having a girlfriend, but of course with no emotions. Loved it. She was always caring for others at her table. Always telling George (who is 102 and a half) to eat his food or drink his hot chocolate. She also made sure we were on our toes at all times. She would yell “coffee” at us until we brought it to her. Or better yet just say “cereal” until it was brought to her in the mornings.



I truly enjoyed her. She moved into a different facility in July and everyday I have missed her and her comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment